The Implementation Support Unit was established in May 2015 to support and coordinate the work of the Convention on Cluster Munitions and its future intersessional work. This decision came out of a series of meetings of States Parties, the first held in Beirut, Lebanon, in 2012.
Based on the decisions made in Beirut, the Unit has a mandate to:
- Assist the President, support the Coordinators, and prepare, support and follow-up from formal and informal meetings of the Convention;
- Offer advice and support to States Parties on Convention implementation;
- Develop and maintain a resource base of relevant technical expertise and practices, and to provide States with these resources if requested;
- Facilitate communication among States Parties and other relevant actors, cooperate and coordinate amongst these and maintain public relations, including efforts to promote the universalization of the Convention;
- Keep records of formal and informal meetings under the Convention and other relevant knowledge products, expertise and information pertaining to the implementation of the Convention;
- Organise the set-up of a sponsorship programme assisted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining and provide guidance, input and support to the programme.
The ISU-CCM is housed at the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, as per the hosting agreement that was agreed upon between the States Parties and the GICHD.