The Implementation Support Unit was established in May 2015 to support and coordinate the work of the Convention on Cluster Munitions. This decision came out of a series of meetings of States Parties, the first held in Beirut, Lebanon, in 2012.
Based on the decisions made in Beirut, the Unit has a mandate to:
- Assist the President, support the Coordinators, and prepare, support and follow-up from formal and informal meetings of the Convention;
- Offer advice and support to States Parties on Convention implementation;
- Develop and maintain a resource base of relevant technical expertise and practices, and to provide States with these resources if requested;
- Facilitate communication among States Parties and other relevant actors, cooperate and coordinate amongst these and maintain public relations, including efforts to promote the universalization of the Convention;
- Keep records of formal and informal meetings under the Convention and other relevant knowledge products, expertise and information pertaining to the implementation of the Convention;
- Organise the set-up of a sponsorship programme assisted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining and provide guidance, input and support to the programme.
The ISU-CCM is hosted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, as per the hosting agreement that was agreed upon between the States Parties and the GICHD.