The Implementation Support Unit was established in May 2015 to support and coordinate the work of the Convention on Cluster Munitions. This decision came out of a series of Meetings of States Parties, the first held in Beirut, Lebanon, in 2012.
The ISU is mandated to coordinate and provide support to the work of the CCM, inter alia, in the following ways:
- Assist the President and the President-Designate in all aspects of the Presidency as well as provide substantive and other support to Presidencies and the Coordinators;
- Prepare, convene and support formal and informal meetings of the Convention, including the preparation of relevant documents, and conduct follow-up activities upon the request of the States Parties in addition to tasks derived from decisions taken at these meetings;
- Offer advice and support to States Parties on the implementation of the Convention;
- Develop and maintain a resource base of relevant technical expertise and best practices and, upon request, provide States Parties with such expertise;
- Support the implementation of the Convention, including by contracting, if required, relevant technical expertise;
- Facilitate communication among States Parties, facilitate communication with States not Parties and maintain public relations, including efforts to promote the universalization of the Convention;
- Cooperate and coordinate with relevant actors, organisations and institutions;
- Keep records of formal and informal meetings under the Convention and other relevant knowledge products, expertise and information pertaining to the implementation of the Convention;
- Manage the Sponsorship Programme in collaboration with the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining (GICHD) by providing guidance, input and support as necessary;
- Serve as an interface between the States Parties and the international community on issues related to the implementation of the CCM.
The ISU-CCM is hosted by the Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, as per the hosting agreement that was agreed upon between the States Parties and the GICHD.
Download the brochure on the mandate of the Implementation Support Unit.