The Convention on Cluster Munitions indicates that the States Parties “shall meet regularly in order to consider and, where necessary, take decisions in respect of any matter with regard to the application or implementation of this Convention”.
All States Parties are invited by the Secretary-General of the UN to the annual Meetings of States Parties (MSP). States not parties, as well as the United Nations, other relevant international organisations, regional organisations, the ICRC, the IFRC and relevant non-governmental organisations may be invited to attend the MSP. A MSP is normally hosted by the country assuming the Presidency of that MSP.
- The First Meeting of States Parties (1MSP) took place in Vientiane, Lao PDR, from 9 to 12 December 2010.
- The Second Meeting of States Parties (2MSP) took place in Beirut, Lebanon, from 12 to 16 September 2011.
- The Third Meeting of States Parties (3MSP) took place in Oslo, Norway, from 11 to 14 September 2012.
- The Fourth Meeting of States Parties (4MSP) took place in Lusaka, Zambia, from 9 to 13 September 2013.
- The Fifth Meeting of States Parties (5MSP) took place in San Jose, Costa Rica, from 2 to 5 September 2014.
- The Sixth Meeting of States Parties (6MSP) took place in Geneva, Switzerland, from 5 to 7 September 2016.